The Astor Apartments
Designed in 1922 by Donald Esplin and Stuart Mould, The Astor is famously known as Australia’s first residential co-operative. The heritage listed site was also Australia’s largest reinforced concrete building of the 1920’s and one of the first to ever use reversible steel windows.
RM Watson was initially engaged to replace all the steel windows and repair the concrete facade of the impressive structure. Additional scope were incorporated into the project as works progressed due to the high quality of works delivered by the RM Watson team.
The project was tendered as a lump sum contract, with the majority of the work relating to the repair and preparation of the window surrounds and the make good of apartments after the windows were installed, was carried out under provisional allowances. This was done because the scope of work for each unit was not able to be determined prior to removing the windows. The project effectively became a cost plus, open book contract with a few lump sum items such as supply of windows and façade coating.
The initial project was such a success with the works being completed to programme and below budget that when the next stage of works came up, the refurbishment of the 2 light wells, the board negotiated a contract with RMW on an open book cost plus basis.
The Astor Pty Ltd
Arcadis & NBRS Architecture
123 Macquarie Street, Sydney